The Essentials for Traveling
We will try to help you to know what to pack when going to Martinique.The first items you should think of are the most important. It includes valid passports, airline tickets, reservation numbers, car rental documents, vouchers, cash, credit cards, driver’s licenses, prescription drugs,…
To e-mail yourself copies of your passports and other important documents like your driver’s license may be very useful if lost. Also, even if there is not a great deal of crime in Martinique, keeping your valuables in a safe is recommended.
What to Wear
Except if you have a special event that requires a proper attire, dress is generally casual in Martinique. Boat shoes, polo shirts, shorts and sneakers are perfectly adapted for the island. However, if swimwear is perfect for the beach, it is not considered proper in town.
Special Items for Martinique
Here is a short list of what to pack if you are going to Martinique :
- If you are coming from the US, the UK or Canada, a 110-220 voltage converter and a plug adapter (to French plugs) will be needed.
- Buying candles can be useful for power failures.
- We advise a French mini-phrase book/dictionary if you or anybody in the group you are traveling with speak french.
- If you plan on hiking during rain or in case of rain, you will want to put a rain poncho and traction-sole shoes.
- Mosquito repellent containing one of the followings : DEET, Picaridin (also known as KBR 3023, Bayrepel and Picaridin), oil of lemon eucalyptus (OLE or PMD) or IR3535.
- Lots of sunscreen and lip block
- Sandals and sneakers, adapted for the beach, hiking, boating, or just walking in town. Pack at least one pair of comfortable athletic shoes or hiking boots.
- Sports gear (snorkel, mask,..)
- Spare batteries for cameras
- Cash : the currency in Martinique is Euro, and unlike some Caribbean islands, local establishments rarely accept the United States Dollar. However, credit and debit card are widely accepted. If you are coming from a country that is not in the Euro zone, you may ask your bank for some temporary options to avoid paying fees when using you payment card.
Also, to make sure you won’t forget anything, make a mental note of all the activities you plan to participate in during your trip. Moreover, it can be a good idea to check the predicted weather during that time. It can help you determine if any other items than the one mentioned before would be necessary.
During your travel to Martinique, keep your most important items with you in your carry-on bag. It can be better in case your luggage is damaged or delayed.