You can do Colombo with chicken, lamb, pork, even with fish… You can have different styles of colombo with the vegetables or meat you include. You just have to follow the recipe with the spices and cooking mode.
Here is my mom recipe made with love:
- Range chicken (or pork or lamb according to taste)
- 1 large eggplant
- 500g potatoes
- 1 packet or massal colombo
- Onions , parsley , shallot , garlic, olive oil, fresh thyme or powder
- 1 lime
- Herbes de Provence, salt and pepper.
– Marinate the chicken cut into pieces, add the masala sachet diluted in a glass of water and then put the garlic, onion, shallot, thyme and herbs. Marinate overnight in the refrigerator, turning occasionally so that the pieces are well impregnate the marinade.
– In a deep, wide pot or pan put 2 tablespoons of olive oil, let it heat 2-3 minutes, then add the chicken pieces and cover for the chicken sweat over low heat on both sides. (the chicken should not take color) 10mn
– Then put the chopped eggplant and place the whole potatoes (they must take the color of the masala)
– Add a little water so that the chicken does not stick (eggplant emerge from the water then add water sparingly)
– Allow to simmer. Eggplants are the binder for the sauce.
– At the end of cooking, when the chicken is cooked, add the lime juice squeezed, 1 clove garlic and 1 tablespoon olive oil soup.
– Serve with basmati rice and white potatoes. Sprinkled with chopped parsley.
To get more creole recipes, follow our “Recipe of the Week” category or subscribe to our newsletter to receive it right into your inbox.
Want to go to Guadeloupe for culinary experience and more…